Poisonous Plants for Dogs: Protect Your Pooch


Dog and toddler having fun in a bed of flowers

We all love to make our house a home by adding our favourite plants as decoration. Whilst they may look and smell great, some can be detrimental to your dog’s health.

It is important to know which plants may or may not harm your dog; after all, it’s their home too and it is up to us to keep them safe!

We have crafted a list of popular plants in Australia that are commonly used in homes across the country which are poisonous plants for dogs. Note that this is not an exhaustive list, merely the most popular. There are many more that can be included so be sure to double check when purchasing a new plant.

Which plants are poisonous for dogs?

Sago Palm

These plants closely resemble palm trees in a smaller form and can be kept indoors or outdoors. They are popular amongst households for their holiday feel but are not popular amongst our furry friends. Their seeds or nuts contain the highest toxins in the plant and if digested can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, liver failure, seizures or even death. 

Tulips

This brightly coloured member of the Lily family is pleasant on the eye but their bulbs are highly toxic to your dog. Their leaves can cause an upset stomach but ingestion of the bulbs could cause an unwanted reaction. Loss of appetite, excessive drooling, diarrhoea and vomiting are all the result from consuming these plants.

Lily of the Valley

Dainty and religious, this plant looks very inviting. Don’t be fooled though as they are a highly poisonous woodland flower both to us humans and dogs. Severe clinical signs can be seen in dogs if consumed, including vomiting, diarrhoea, decrease in heart rate (coma), low blood pressure and possibly seizures.

Oleander

Often beautifully pink in colour, these plants are admired amongst warmer locations. The entire plant is extremely toxic to your dog. If your dog eats these it could end in fatality or at best give him/her heart issues or muscle tremors.

Autumn Crocus

These purple flowers are typically found during Spring time. They are owners of a very lethal bulb which leaves a burning sensation in your dog’s mouth. Signs of ingestion of these plants can be seen immediately or delayed for a few days. Your dog could experience severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure if this plant is eaten.

Azalea

Also known as Rhododendron, Azaleas are flowering shrubs that are popular amongst many backyards. The entirety of the plant contains a toxin which can interfere with skeletal and nerve functions in your dog if sampled by them. This can lead to abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, low blood pressure or even comatose them and lead to a fatality.

Peace Lily

Whilst this plant is unlikely to kill your dog, it can certainly leave them feeling uncomfortable. If you notice any irritation to your dog’s mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting or difficulty swallowing, it is likely that they have had a go on your Peace Lily houseplant. He/she may whine and may be unable to bark as well as showing a disinterest in eating.

Daffodil

Bright, yellow and summery looking, Daffodils are up there with one of the most recognisable flowers. As much temptation as there is to brighten up your garden, you may want to avoid doing so if your home is occupied by an extra furry family member. Their bulbs are most dangerous to dogs but the entire plant is actually considered poisonous. Eating any part of a Daffodil can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, convulsions and a fatal drop in blood pressure.

Cyclamen (Sowbread)

This pretty pink flower comes in at number one for Australia’s most popular house plant but also ranks as one of the most poisonous houseplants for dogs. They contain terpenoid saponins which can cause plenty of irritation. Salivation, vomiting, diarrhoea, heart abnormalities, seizures and fatalities can happen if the plant is ingested in large quantities.

Amaryllis

Scientifically named Amaryllidaceae, this plant is common amongst winter. Its bulb is reputed to be more dangerous than the flowers or stalk and can be an unpleasant experience for your dog. By intaking this plant, your dog could experience vomiting, depression, lethargy and tremors.

 

As you can see, the result of allowing your dog to consume any toxic plants could end in some serious damage. When purchasing a new plant, always double check the names; some go by multiple titles and can often be confused with another. Your seller should know whether they are safe for you to have in your home and around your dog.

  

Poisonous plants for dogs

 

There are plenty of outdoor plants that are safe for dogs and plenty of indoor plants that are safe for dogs too. 

If you absolutely must own one of the plants dangerous to dogs, ensure that they are out of the way and somewhere that your dog completely cannot reach. Barrier them off or place them up high where a curious pup will not be able to get at them.

If you see any of the symptoms listed above and you do own a poisonous plant, check the leaves or flowers for any signs that your dog has eaten them. If this is the case, it should be treated as an emergency and you should contact your vet right away.

It is likely that your dog will be treated with respiratory support, intravenous fluids and if needed, they will induce vomiting. If safe to do so, they may opt to wash out your dog’s stomach.

 

If you have any questions regarding poisonous plants for dogs or have any stories to share to create awareness then please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

 

We are easy to contact via our Facebook page, (Petz Park). Here is where we can respond almost immediately to any of your queries.